Monday, October 22, 2007

Review - Port of Piraeus

There are two types of lunches in DC. You're either doing the expense account special at Charlie Palmer, or your joining the grunts in one of the many small delis across the city.

I'm lucky enough however to work in an office that caters lunch - but as we didn't produce any shows last week, we were left to fend for ourselves. In the search for something beyond pb&j sandwiches made at home as I'm rushing out the door, I ventured over to Port of Piraeus, a Greek deli on 13th and I St. NW.

While the menu isn't exclusively Greek (you'll find Liverwurst and a Cuban sandwich), you can pretty easily get your Greek food fix here.

I got a falafel sandwich which, while pretty standard, was one of the better falafel sandwiches I've had in the city (Better than Old City, not nearly as good as Amsterdam). My co-worker got the massive Mezedakia Platter, which had everything from hummus to olives on it.

While I'm back to eating for free this week, it's good to know that there's a cheap, and pretty good place like Port of Piraeus right around the corner.

No comments: