Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Food Day!

Happy food day folks. Here's what's going on in the world of food:

Wanted: Anyone
I think the most important and interesting story in the WaPo food section today is a story by Jane Black about a critical staffing shortage among restaurant staff around the city. Uber-chef Cathal Armstrong is quoted as saying that the lack of good help is preventing him from opening new ventures, and is keeping new chefs away from our area. I really hope that this situation somehow resolves itself and the region starts to attract and retain lower level culinary talent so that our upper level culinary talent can continue to make this area one of the best to eat.

Iron Celebrities
There's a great piece in the New York Times about the rise of the celebrity chef culture and how chefs are more corporations than cooks. I'll have to admit, I get all kinds of excited when I see chefs I recognize, but we have to ask ourselves - at what point do we appreciate the glamour more than we do the product?

Sounds delicious
I'm not a huge music fan, but I'm intrigued by The Carlyle Club, a new restaurant opening up October 18th that will play big band music along with serving oysters Rockefeller and duck confit salad, according to an article in the Washington Post. Brennan Reilly, the brains and funding behind the idea owns Yesterdays All-American Cafe, in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, and co-owns Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria. James Bryant, an area native, will man the stove, fresh from the Dataw Island Club in Saint Helena, S.C.

1 comment:

Richard Nixon said...

Interesting concept....

as a music fan, I think oysters and old-school jazz go well together.