Friday, November 9, 2007

Sushi Taro - Revisited

The first time I went to Sushi Taro was a watershed moment in my culinary life. It's there that I first really fell for sushi and really appreciated what it could be.

I hadn't been back since until last night, and I must say, it's just as good now as it was then.

I must say that I was a little disappointed in the edamamme, which came out cold and unsalted, but the fish was nearly perfect.

The omakase was fantastic, enough for two with plenty of variety.

Great dinners consist of a lot of things going right. Solid service, good food, and even better company.

Luckily, I had all three last night.

4 comments:

Richard Nixon said...

I might be the only reader from Maine on here; but if anyone is looking for Sushi in Portland, Yosaku is the place to go: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/index.php/Yosaku_Japanese_Restaurant_Portland_Maine

I've noticed some bad reviews online, mostly related to the service. The service was good when I went last time, however, so I'm not sure what others experienced.

What I can say is that friends of mine who know sushi rank it as the best in the state.

Anthony said...

I think it's safe to say that outside of Yosaku, there's plenty of culinary opportunity in Portland.

I really hope I can come up and visit sometime next year!

Anonymous said...

Definitely - Sushi Taro is a great experience. Although really, why must they insist on including sea urchin in the assortment plate? Is it just me, or does it taste like the inside of a fish tank smells ??

friendsforkim said...

No, I think that's just you - and I did take one for the team and eat it. It wasn't that bad!

Still, I agree; I'm surprised that they always end up on the omakase since they're not exactly something that I think a lot of Americans would normally eat.