Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Old Favorite, New Again

My father, who reads this blog every night, can attest to this: growing up, my favorite meal was sausage subs with onions and peppers. Whenever we'd go to the Dade County Fair, or it was my birthday, the true guido in me would come out and I'd ask for sausage and peppers.

Last night I had a hankering for my favorite dish, but since I'm almost off of meat, I had to look for a veggie alternative. Thankfully the folks at Lightlife have a veggie Italian sausage that's actually really tasty, and very healthy.

I combined the sausages with some fresh rolls from Whole Foods, Newman's Own sauce, mozzarella cheese, and some organic onion and mushrooms for a great, healthy, organic alternative to my childhood favorite.



So, are there any old favorites of yours that you've changed to fit any new eating habits you may have acquired over the years?

1 comment:

Um... Yum! said...

I went vegan overnight one day when I was a freshman in college, so after being a hardcore carnivore for 19 years, I of course had to change many things. One change was my own invention: Guacaburger.

Original Guacaburger: Burger with bacon, canadian bacon, mozarella, and guacamole

Vegan Guacaburger: Boca burger with mushrooms, onions, and guacamole