Monday, January 14, 2008

Who's having steak tonight?

You only have two nights left to try out Tom Sarris Orleans Steak House in Rosslyn before it closes for good to make way for a monstrosity of a skyscraper.



I wrote about this when the story first came out, but for a restaurant I've never been to, and don't intend on going to in the next 48 hours, I'm sad to see it go.



Tom Sarris had been a landmark in Rosslyn for over thirty years, and putting yet another large building (600,000-square-foot, 470-foot-tall office building to be precice) isn't going to do much for the character of the area - especially since the FAA has expressed concerns that the large building might interfere with traffic in and out of National Airport.

So long Tom Sarris Orleans Steak House, may you, your gigantic salad bar, and Flintstones sized steaks come back soon.

*Photos courtesy of WJLA

2 comments:

B said...

That is insane! That place has been there since I can remember (and that's a long ass time)!

Plus, I drive by it every day I go to work because it's *right* down the road from my job.

Dr. Dremo's is closing down for the same reason.. I swear, Arlington's going to be nothing but big boxes soon.

Um... Yum! said...

I don't see why they can't have a spot in the skyscraper like on the first floor. Many office buildings have cafeterias and restaurants in them. I know it's totally not the same, but it's better than kicking it out altogether.