Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Food Day: It's an awards post!

The math is simple folks. Bad weather + a lack of ideas = an end of the year awards post!



Stay with me on this, I'll try to make it as painless as possible.

Best Performance by a Meal or a large snack: Donut and margarita pizza at 2 Amy's
I've eaten a lot of really good food over the past year, but for what it's worth, nothing quite does the trick like a Sunday morning donut and margarita pie at 2 Amy's. I come out spending only $15, I'm in and out in about a half hour (I've I'm there by myself), and I've consumed enough food for the entire day. It's nowhere near the fanciest, but hey, I'll take it any day of the week.

Best Restaurant (Comedy or Musical): Zola
A lot of things have changed for me over the past year. How I eat and who I’ve eaten with being the two primary. But through all of that, Zola has always stood out to me. I feel that this restaurant always gets overlooked, and to me, that’s just fine. It didn’t even make the top 100 list, but I’d still rather go there than most of those who did. The service is always sharp, the bar has a great drink selection, and the menu changes enough to keep things interesting. Oh yeah, and the food is pretty damn good too.

Best Supporting Role by an Alcoholic Beverage: The Grog at PX
If this was all there was to drink in the world, I’d be a happy man. I’d drink this like water if I could, and trust me, I’ve tried.

Best Performance by a Restaurant not in Washington DC: Osaka, Northampton, MA.
I’m not even sure I’ve been to Osaka in the past year, but every sushi restaurant to visit is, and will always be judged against Osaka. This is on my top five places to eat in 2008. Of course getting up to NoHo will be a bit difficult.

Worst Performance by a Meal or Snack: Beer Cheese at King Street Blues
I love beer. I love cheese. But I also love my right hand and blenders. Beer cheese was almost as painful as combining the later two, and probably less healthy.

Worst Restaurant (Drama): Burma
I guess this is what you get when you’re down to your 10th option. I’ve never had to go up and essentially process my own bill, and I’ve never not eaten more than two bites of any meal. Thank you Burma, you’ve shown me what truly horrible food and service really is.

Worst Supporting Role by an Alcoholic Beverage: I don’t remember
If it was that bad, odds are I had enough of it not to remember it. Ah the beauty of booze.

So, let’s hear yours. Leave a comment, let me know what you felt was the best and worst in food in 2007.

No comments: