Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Food Day: Back to Basics Edition

Happy Food Day everyone, here's what's going on in the world of food today:

Living Local: I remember always being confused growing up when I'd go to the grocery store and see tomatoes from Mexico and Avocados from California - why transport them from thousands of miles away when we lived next to an Avocado grove and down the street from a tomato farm? Well it looks like big grocery stores, and even Wal-Mart, are embracing local produce - this NY Times article has the details.



Peanut Butter & Jelly Time!: Every morning I get up and make myself a PB&J sandwich, and usually I have another before I go for a run in the evening - but evidently my love for the PB&J isn't as unusual as I thought. According to this Atlanta Journal-Constitution article, we Americans love our PB&J, and eat an estimated 10 BILLION sandwiches a year!

Blast from the past: Remember the days when people used to eat real food? Well those days are here again, and according to this Washington Post article, eating real food may be better than any diet.

It's not the cut, it's how you cut it: Looking to do a little grilling this weekend? Well according to this Arizona Republic article, you don't have to pay ridiculous prices for fancy cuts to get a good steak.

It's a big country: Much of the world's attention will turn to China over the next couple weeks, this Denver Post article shows us that "Chinese Food" isn't just what you find in your mall food court.

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

I love a good pb&j. Only on potato bread. Jam not jelly. crunchy not smooth. And a glass of cold, cold milk. cut it down the middle. Not on a diagonal.