Friday, April 13, 2007

A few of my favorite things...

A quick post before the day/week is over about my favorite topic sushi – and the lack of quality in my life over the past few weeks –

So I went to Sushi Taro last weekend all kinds of excited for all you can eat sushi – only to find a line a block long. If it weren’t so cold, and if other commitments weren’t had, then I would have stood in line for hours, but instead, there was mediocre sushi to be consumed.



Walking down P St. west of Dupont Circle to Uni on a Saturday afternoon, my roommate Marc and I found a nearly empty restaurant. I had heard mixed reviews of Uni, and I now know why. In short, Uni is overpriced and underwhelming. I got a tuna roll, which is very heavy on the rice and very light on the tuna, and a crawfish roll which was actually decent, but still wasn’t able to make up for the tuna roll, or the awkwardly set up sushi bar.



A bit closer to home, I stopped by a new take out sushi place in Old Town Alexandria last Friday. Bumblefish looks and tastes like your grocery store’s sushi counter, just in one separate location (although my HT’s sushi counter is amazing). Nice and cheap, I was able to get two packets of sushi, the equivalent of four rolls, for just $8.00. Again, the sushi wasn’t great, wasn’t even that good – but I do admire what Bumblefish (a growing national chain) is doing in an attempt to bring sushi, and healthy food to the masses. If you’re going to eat crappy food, it might as well be crappy sushi over a crappy hamburger.



So in closing - I’ll have to get in line for Sushi Taro’s all you can eat day earlier next year. Uni was disappointing, despite one good roll. And Bumblefish is the new McDonalds.

Until next time, have a great weekend.

Uni
2122 P St NW
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 833-8038

Bumblefish
631 King Street
Alexandria, Virginia
703.299.FISH

No comments: