Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Striking a balance

There are few things I enjoy seeing more on a sign than “Sushi Happy Hour” – the promise of discount sushi, and a lot of it, is enough to send me into a fish/rice/happiness induced coma.

However, with sushi, a reduction in price often means a reduction in quality. Find me an all you can eat sushi buffet and I’ll find you a disappointed patron. However, as there is an exception to every rule, there is Tono Sushi.

Sitting in a prominent position on Connecticut Avenue across from the Woodley Park metro stop, Tono Sushi is about as convenient as a restaurant can get. The inside of the restaurant is fairly small and cozy, and on a nice day the restaurant’s location is perfect for people watching – making Sushi Tono a comfortable place to eat whether you do so inside or out.

Almost every time Jill and I have been we’ve sat at the sushi bar (as is our standard operating procedure). Staffed by four chefs, the wonders that come out from behind the bar amaze the eye and astonish the palate with beautifully fresh creations.

Our meal started with a nice bowl of bean sprouts, served in what seemed like a mix of soy sauce and rice vinegar. Normally I’m not a big bean sprout person, but these were wonderful, and a great alternative to the traditional miso soup and ginger salad mixture that I usually just push off to Jill.

Looking to strike a good mix of quality and quantity, we relied on the happy hour menu for guidance. My first roll was a simple roll of tuna and avocado (pretty standard for me). With a pretty good ratio of fish to rice, everything was fresh and the tuna and avocado both had the same creamy texture that I enjoy so much.

As far as the actual sushi went, my favorite by far was the squid, which was without a doubt the creamiest piece that I’ve ever tasted. The rest of the lot: salmon, tuna, yellowtail, and marinated mackerel were all worthy of being served at a much fancier restaurant at a much higher cost – but luckily were all just one dollar a piece.

There are an awful lot of sushi restaurants in the DC area, but few offer the convenience, the quality, and the affordability of Tono Sushi. It may not have been the best sushi I’ve ever had, but it’s probably the best sushi I’ve had for the price, and that’s good enough for me.

Tono Sushi
2605 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008
202.332.7300
http://www.tonosushi.com/main_site/

No comments: