Saturday, March 10, 2007

The egg definitely came first

The primary reason why I’ve been so quiet for the better part of the last week is that I’ve been sick – stuck at home, as I mentioned a few days ago, with a case of strep throat. Shortly after I wrote that piece on Wednesday, about my meal on Tuesday evening, my mouth swelled up and I couldn’t chew or open my mouth wide enough for any solid foods.

Yet, with the help of a few days rest and a set of strong antibiotics, I decided to give the whole solid foods thing a shot again tonight – after getting sick and tired of a strict diet of Ensure milkshakes and frozen yogurt.

So, I fell back on the first thing I ever learned how to make: an omelet.

Now I really don’t think I have to go step by step with this, but for formality’s sake, I will.

I started off by taking three eggs and opening them into a bowl, splashing a couple tablespoons of milk in with it and a bit of salt. On a small plate, I grated about a quarter cup of cheese – I happened to use Colby Jack, because that’s what I have on hand. Any soft cheese would work fine.



I then lightly whisked the eggs, not too much as that would make them tough, and then put them into an already hot pan with a tablespoon of melted butter (melted in the pan).



Once the eggs are in the pan, put a pinch of pepper in, and let them sit for about 20-30 seconds. The more you handle the eggs, the tougher they’re going to get, so controlling your compulsive spatula skills is a good thing here.

Once you’ve let them sit, you’ll notice a great deal of the uncooked egg left sitting on top of the already solid and formed mass of egg. Take your utensil and move forward the edges of the omelet, allowing the excess liquid to flow to the edges and solidify.



I usually do this until there is only a very thin layer of liquid on top. It’s at this point that I throw the cheese down the middle. After I do this, I take the right most quarter of the omelet, and fold it from right to left. I then fold it from left to right, much like folding a letter to be put into an envelope. Let this sit for another few seconds, and serve.



I didn’t have any chives or parsley for a garnish, but you get the point. Slightly browned with a bit of a crust to it on the outside, and airy and creamy on the inside – sometimes, you just can’t beat a good omelet; especially if you haven’t eaten real food in four days.

-Ant

No comments: