Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Shear Gluttony

I work in a cool office, no doubt. I am one of 7 brand-spankin’-new employees, all fresh out of college, who are poor and crazy enough to think that all-you-can-eat gnocchi is a good idea. Which is why, last night, I found myself parked at Piola in Rosslyn with 5 of my closest coworkers (one couldn’t make it) and a digestitory death-wish and a lot of eating-contest trash talk.

I’ll spare you the gory details, but suffice it to say, after 6 bowls of gooey potato-pasta-y goodness, I was down for the count. Piola’s gnocchi is, at first bite, light and fluffy and gently sauced with either a satisfyingly rich cheese sauce, a simply tomato, or a pleasantly clumpy eggplant and ham with a tomato base. I think I had one cheese, 2 tomato, and 3 ham and eggplant, but I really can’t be sure. It all got fuzzy toward the end.

Piola is fun, spunky, and unapologetically European. I’ve yet to try the pizza, which is also all-you-can-eat on Sunday nights, but its relatively well-reputed. The service is adequate, the drinks are strong, and the benches allow plenty of gut-room. Thank goodness for loose fitting skirts.

PIOLA WASHINGTON D.C.
1550 Wilson blvd. Arlington, VA 22209
P: 703-528.1502

No comments: