Monday, May 21, 2007

The first and only...

There are some things that should just be done once, just so you don’t do them ever again. From sticking your tongue to a light pole in the dead of winter, to plopping your hand on a stove top, these are valuable life lessons that must be learned.

This past Saturday I had one of those lessons and I’m going to pass it on to you so you won’t have to endure the pain of a torn tongue or a burnt hand: don’t ever go to the Preakness and sit in the infield.

The crowd was drunk and engaging in scandalous behavior (fine with me), but was also incredibly violent which took all the fun out of it.

Since this is a blog about food, I should probably point out that at no point did I actually eat anything sold at the event, though I did consume a lot of salt and vinegar chips, a turkey sandwich, and more cheap beer than I care to recall.

On the other hand, I’m going up to New York City for the first time in a long time (I honestly can’t remember the last time I was there). I’ll be going up with three good friends and staying in my old boss’s apartment near Times Square. Expect pictures and reviews. It should be a blast.

No comments: